Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort only partially alerting

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:43:04 -0400

On 7/19/2013 15:43, Frank Calone wrote:
A thank you to all who helped to resolve this issue with partial alerting on
events.  It turns out that we had packet truncation (due to a large framing
size)  which was causing us to miss alerts.  This was noticed when I ran snort
in the foreground.  The following message showed up:
(snort_decoder) WARNING: IP dgm len > captured len

i'm assuming that this is the followup on what we were discussing a few weeks
ago? if yes, there might be some info in there to assist us in a few things
we've been seeing with 2.9.5 but they are not large packets related AFAWCT...
mainly things being missed like some portion of the 3way handshake causing an
alert and reset outside of window stuffs...

perhaps the -k none checksum option is the fix? i dunno yet as our snorts are
started by security binaries instead of normal scripts... that makes it very
hard to change the startup options on a whim... at best it requires a recompile
of the startup binary and that requires a dev machine since there are no source
libraries or compiler bits on a working and deployed system ;) O:)