Snort mailing list archives

Re: Pulled Pork Question

From: JJ Cummings <cummingsj () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:33:09 -0600

Specify like you would local.rules for Ang other custom rules file...

Sent from the iRoad

On Jul 11, 2013, at 12:26, Y M <snort () outlook com> wrote:

Sorry if I didn't make it clear. You still need to have the rules tarball stored at your /tmp directory since
pulledpork will extract and massage the rules into the snort.rules file.

PulledPork processes the individual rules files from the rules snapshot and will take into account the local rules
file as configured in pulledpork.conf file and populate the sid-msg.map file. If you have the emerging threats
tarball in /tmp directory, and enable the ET URL in pulledpork.conf file, PulledPork will also process these and
populate the sid-msg.map. By this, now you have the VRT, ET, and local rules all being populated in sid-msg.map file,
but all rules are in the snort.rules file (you still can keep individual rules files separate if you want using the
-k option).

As for company.rules, I have no knowledge of PulledPork being able to include custom/dynamic rules file other than
the ones specified above.