Snort mailing list archives

*.rules files empty

From: Lukáš Vízner <lukasvizner () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:41:35 +0200

Hi all,

I am a new one and I am a bit confused about the rules files stored in
/rules folder. I had downloaded snortrules-snapshot-2953.tar.gz and I used
tar -zvxf snortrules-snapshot-2953.tar.gz command to unzip the archiv. When
I look into the /rules folder where are all these snort rules files and try
to open some it is just empty. For example I open telnet.rules file and all
content is :

# Copyright 2001-2013 Sourcefire, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
#
# This file contains (i) proprietary rules that were created, tested and
certified by
# Sourcefire, Inc. (the "VRT Certified Rules") that are distributed under
the VRT
# Certified Rules License Agreement (v 2.0), and (ii) rules that were
created by
# Sourcefire and other third parties (the "GPL Rules") that are distributed
under the
# GNU General Public License (GPL), v2.
#
# The VRT Certified Rules are owned by Sourcefire, Inc. The GPL Rules were
created
# by Sourcefire and other third parties. The GPL Rules created by
Sourcefire are
# owned by Sourcefire, Inc., and the GPL Rules not created by Sourcefire
are owned by
# their respective creators. Please see
http://www.snort.org/snort/snort-team/ for a
# list of third party owners and their respective copyrights.
#
# In order to determine what rules are VRT Certified Rules or GPL Rules,
please refer
# to the VRT Certified Rules License Agreement (v2.0).
#
# TELNET RULES

Can anybody explain me why?
Thank you