Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-sigs] Webkit DoS -- سمَـَّوُوُحخ ̷̴̐خ ̷̴̐خ ̷̴̐خ امارتيخ ̷̴̐خ

From: Jeremy Hoel <jthoel () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 17:14:50 +0000

On the list of for ET rules, this is also listed as a reference -
http://zhovner.com/tmp/killwebkit.html

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM, L0rd Ch0de1m0rt
<l0rdch0de1m0rt () gmail com> wrote:
Hello. Y M.  Thank you very much for the input.  Sorry for not including
this link:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/08/rendering-bug-crashes-os-x-and-ios-apps-with-string-of-arabic-characters/

It isn't a tool causing this, just a mis-handling by Webkit of this string.
I am not fully understanding why (probably related more to how the Webkit
handles the characters/bytes rather than what they actually represents).

I'm not sure if and how the bytes need to be in a certain order.  For
example:

̷̴̐خ ̷̴̐خ امارتيخ ̷̴̐خ

^^ will that cause an issue?

or:

سمَـَّوُوُح

Or does it have to be the full thing:

سمَـَّوُوُحخ ̷̴̐خ ̷̴̐خ ̷̴̐خ امارتيخ ̷̴̐خ

Thanks.

Lord C.