Snort mailing list archives

Re: Ultrasurf and Hotspot Shield pattern

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 10:06:16 -0400

On 5/23/2013 04:13, Ozgur Karatas wrote:
Hello all,

I using Snort (Version 2.9.3.1 IPv6 GRE (Build 40)) and I try Snort IPQ
mode:

$ iptables -A FORWARD -j QUEUE $ snort -d -D --daq ipq -Q -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf

Snort sniffed incoming and outgoing TCP/UDP traffic. My Snort server running
bridge mode. How can I stop ultrasurf and hotspotshield traffic? I dont
formulate to snort pattern.

RE: ultrasurf
you can't really... maybe with a man-in-the-middle configuration but who wants
to go thru all that? some corporations do, though... in reality, the best you
can do is to enforce company policy and remove the ultrasurf executable from
users machines (AD logon scripts anyone?)... here are some links concerning
ultrasurf courtesy of uncle google... there should be enough pointers in there
to help you get started ;)

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/How_to_Detect_and_Block_UltraSurf_program_traffic

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/10/26/1241238/ultrasurf-easily-blocked-but-so-what

RE: hotspotshield
basically the same as above...

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/277623-best-way-to-block-hotspot-shield-and-other-unwanted-proxy-vpn-style-software

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1409776-block-hotspot-shieldanchorfree-vpn/

basically it comes down to trying to apply tech to control social problems and
that's always going to be fraught with failure... to combat these situations,
there needs to be corporate policy in place prohibiting these activities and
that policy must be enforced... using tech to detect and track these violations
is needed but there must still be an enforced policy in place once the violators
have been identified and the evidence built against their activities...