Snort mailing list archives

Re: Enabling Debug option

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 23:43:14 -0400

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Mohamed Makthum <makthum () gmail com> wrote:
Hello Everyone,

                                I am trying to test arpspoof preprocessor
but it isn’t working. The preprocessor isn’t generating any alert msgs when
arp replies spoofed. Kindly let me know how can I know whether particular
preprocessor is initialized or not . How do I debug ?

spp_arpspoof.c is only using DEBUG_PLUGIN and DEBUG_INIT so you could:

export SNORT_DEBUG=0x21

to get those messages.  However, I suggest breaking on ARPspoofInit()
and DetectARPattacks() and stepping through the code instead.

I have made a build using –enable-debug option. I have read several
questions where it is mentioned to use export env variable SNORT_DEBUG but I
am not sure what value to specify for the variable.

I have also modified snort.conf to enable the preprocessor. Kindly help me
to enable debugging.

Regards,

Mohamed Makthum Mohamed

Grad student