Snort mailing list archives

Empty alert descriptions

From: SnortFan <SnortFan () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 12:58:03 -0400

Hi,
      I recently took over a position over seeing a group of snort sensors and they've been having an issue of empty
descriptions on some alerts. This has been going on since before the last admin.

Just a few rules seem to generate the empty alerts yet a few of the older sensors don't have this issue.

Pulledpork version v0.6.1 is running on a non-sensor and we push the rules and the sid-msg.map files to all sensors
from it. It's had snort version 2.9.4.5 GRE (Build 71) installed. We have a script that deploys the new rules and
sid-msg.map and then restarts the snort and barnyard2 processes on the sensors.

The 4 sensors generating the non-descriptive alerts are running a snort version 2.9.4.5 GRE (Build 71) and barnyard2
version 2.1.11 (Build 318).

The 2 sensors not having issues are running a snort version 2.9.2.3 IPv6 GRE (Build 205) and barnyard2 version 2.1.9
(Build 263).

On all the sensors the sid-msg.map is the same. The gen-msg.map files do differ but both have entries for the alerts
that barnyard2 is picking up with no alerts.

Example alerts:  Snort Alert [1:16435:0]
Snort Alert [119:32:0].

Since the sid-msg.map file is the same, I'm thinking that there maybe a miss configuration on the 4 new sensors.

How should I go about trouble shooting this?

Thanks.
Ed