Snort mailing list archives

Re: mysql error and sensor name

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 10:01:17 -0400

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Balla István <balla.bmf () gmail com> wrote:
I m not familiar at all with mysql and found some problem (first 3 lines)
related to it when started barnyard2 with: /usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c
/usr/local/snort/etc/barnyard2.conf -d /var/log/snort -f snort.u2 -w
/var/log/snort/barnyard2.waldo

database: [SynchronizeEventId()]: Problems executing [SELECT MAX(cid) FROM
icmphdr WHERE sid='3';]
database: [SynchronizeEventId()]: Problems executing [SELECT MAX(cid) FROM
udphdr WHERE sid='3';]

Those messages where changed in the upcomming 2-1.13 release
and you can ignore them.
Since they mainly mean that the query couldn't execute because there was no
row in the associated table.

[SignatureReferencePullDataStore()]: No Reference found in database ...

This simply mean that your reference table was empty.

database: compiled support for (mysql)
database: configured to use mysql
database: schema version = 107
database:           host = localhost
database:           user = root
database:  database name = snort
database:    sensor name = localhost:eth3
database:      sensor id = 3
database:     sensor cid = 1119
database:  data encoding = hex
database:   detail level = full
database:     ignore_bpf = no
database: using the "log" facility

In barnyard2.conf I have config hostname: localhost and config interface:
eth3
As you can see it made sensor name from these. Also in my barnyard2.conf
there s an entry:
output alert_syslog_full: sensor_name ubuntu, server 10.10.10.2, protocol
udp, port 514, operation_mode default

Should sensor_name be localhost:eth3 instead of ubuntu (which is the
hostname)?

This is up to you Balla. You can use a generic name for sensor or use
localhost or unbuntu, this shouldn't affect
logging/detection at any point. Obviously if you plan to deploy more
snort and barnyard2 process it might be a good idea
to give them more significant names like "IDS-DMZ" or "IDS-BORDER" etc...

-elz