Snort mailing list archives

Re: How rules fire question.

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 11:06:51 -0400

On May 6, 2013, at 10:59 AM, "AT&T.Net" <coppage () att net> wrote:

Hi,
      My snort is giving me an alert for example. Snort Alert [1:24889:0]. When I look at my snort.rules file there
is rev 1 but not a rev 0. If the last number is referencing the rev, why would it have fired on a non existing rev?
I've searched my old archived rules on the server and other rules and don't have that SID with a rev 0.

That rule is at rev:1.  We start all rules at Rev 1.

So, I am thinking two things

#1 -- You aren't using pulledpork to manage your downloads (which as part of it's download and managing process, it
creates the sid-msg.map for you)
#2 -- Your barnyard2 instance isn't reading the sid-msg.map file that pulledpork generates.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT