Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Hardware Requirements

From: Mike Miller <mike () millertwinracing com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:39:01 -0600

I'm doing a similar analysis, but am coming to a different conclusion.

First off, how much bandwidth are you looking at?

Second, do you REALLY NEED the entire ruleset?

Third, properly specifying the hardware produces good dividends.

Fourth, what are you doing with the results, and how long are you looking to keep them?

I have a dl585G2 that's handling 800 mpbs with about a 7% drop rate. It's got 8 cores and 32 gb RAM. I suspect I could
double that with a NIC that supports PF_ring in hardware, triple it if I made some concessions in the ruleset (I don't
care if you're using MSN chat).

The replacement hardware will be a 8 slot shelf with a san, a dedicated blade for IDS, and another blade or two doing
VMware'y things. I'm estimating two of these at a negotiated price around $40k a piece. They'll be sized to handle 10
gig per location, with some futureproofing in the chassis.