Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard2 startup error: Snort not compiled to use mysql but --with-mysql option invalid

From: Kurt Jensen <kjensencissp () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 16:42:18 -0400

Yes thanks we intend to use the barnyard2 piece to feed the data to our mysql we suspected it was not really snort that
needed recompiled as the message said.  We have all the packages, libraries, headers etc and did try running some steps
to get all these talking that is like this:

snort > barnyard2 > mysql > snorby

but clearly being new to this setup we must have missed some of these command steps and options.  We tried to find the
documentation you mentioned but didnt.  Might you have a link or pointer to that?

We used the Snort provided Setup Guides and init scripts to get this far but found nothing there on this piece yet.  We
are completely new to Barnyard2 and anything beyond basic Snort with default logs.

Thanks

Y M <snort () outlook com> wrote:

Snort's support to directly write to a database is no longer an option since Snort 2.9.2, if I recall correctly.

Instead, you compile MySQL support with Barnyard2:

./configure --with-mysql --with-mysql-libraries=<path to the mysql libs>

In Snort, you would use unified2 as an output plugin to write unified2 logs and have Barnyard2 parse these into the
database. In the docs section on Snort's website you will find step by step documentation on how to do that on SuSE,
12.x as well as other OSs.