Snort mailing list archives

Re: pcap DAQ does not support inline

From: Michael Altizer <maltizer () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:36:09 -0400

You will not be able to use the AFPacket DAQ module in that scenario. The AFPacket DAQ module manually forwards packets completely unmodified back and forth across an interface pair (or pairs) when it is in inline mode (unless Snort modifies the packet). This means there will be no routing decisions, MAC address updates, or TTL drecrements involved. Also, if you're actively having the OS do the routing (or bridging), you will end up with duplicate packets being generated by the box. AFPacket operates on copies of packets received on a given interface, and may then send out a packet based on that copy in inline mode if the packet was not dropped, all of which happens in parallel with any other processing the OS is doing with the original packet.