Snort mailing list archives

Re: Triggering a complex snort rule (packet forging)

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 10:37:43 -0500

On 4/2/2013 08:11, lists () packetmail net wrote:
Welcome to the IDS fun :)  I'd just stand up a webserver you can control over
and craft the pages to send the payload you're attempting to match on.  This is
what I do and it's much easier than packet forging.  Also, consider too, this is
as close as you can get to real world examples of the content you're trying to
match on.  You're behaving exactly as a webserver should and you don't need to
worry about false negatives or false positives as a result of packet
forging/crafting on the wire.

+1 :)