Snort mailing list archives

Re: Updating sid-msg.map

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 18:45:03 +0000

The reason they show up as a generic "Snort Alert" is because barnyard did not find an entry for the rule in the
sid-msg.map. The way I do it to fix existing rules, I add the entry for the rule manually to the sid-msg.map (following
the same format), and for the database entries, run the following sql command against Snort database to select the
generic "Snort Alert": SELECT sig_name FROM signature WHERE sig_sid=<generic_rule_sid> This will return the rule, then
you can either edit it manually or issue and update command. I follow the same procedure when I create new rules, but
since they I added them to the sid-msg.map first, barnyard picks up the entry from there and inserts the correct value
into the database.  Also my pulledpork has the path to my local rules file setup to it picks my rules the next time I
run pulledpork and adds them to the update sid-msg.map