Snort mailing list archives

Re: Install Snort on a network

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 06:50:13 -0400

On 4/13/2013 05:18, minh trung wrote:
Hi experts,

I am newbie in Snort

But i have a question: where i can install snort on a network? My means are:
install Snort behind routers, modems or can place Snort servers any where in a
network?
Any one can sharing me a network map that including Snort?
Maybe my question is stupid but it's my big question.
Any help is appreciated,

you can place snort anywhere on your network that you desire... many networks
have numerous snorts in place... each one protecting its assigned segment of the
network...

a map? sure... here's a couple real quick...

internet-+->firewall->switch->workstations

          +->snort(ids)

internet->snort(inline)->firewall->switch->workstations

                                +->netsegment1-+->switch1->workstations
                                |              +->snort3

internet-+->firewall-+->router-+->netsegment2-+->switch2->workstations
          +->snort1   |         |              +-snort4
                      +->snort2 |
                                +->netsegment3-+->switch3->workstations

                                               +-snort5