Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort refuses to start/run on Ubuntu 13.04

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 13:06:34 -0400

On 6/14/2013 21:41, Tony Robinson wrote:
If the system is low on memory, find a process to kill. In this case, snort kept
using more memory than what was available when I attempted to start it, and the
system kept automatically killing it (I wonder why it wasn't using swap space?)

some software will keel over and die if the system wants to move it to swap...
on some systems that we work with, we have to ensure there is enough memory
available or they simply won't run all the software needed because of this...