Snort mailing list archives

Re: Filename in alert_CSV

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 13:01:11 -0400

On 6/13/2013 16:24, Parker, Jonathan E. wrote:
I am processing multiple .pcap files using the --pcap-dir option, and have my
snort.conf setup to put alerts in a csv file using alert_CSV. After processing
with Snort I load the results into a MySQL database. I want to include the
filename of the pertinent .pcap for each alert, but there does not seem to be an
option for that for the csv output module. Can anyone suggest a way to do this?

the only way i can currently see is by processing the pcaps individually and the
stuffing the filename into the CSV after it is generated...

perhaps something like (pseudo code off the top of my head)

for %i in (*.pcap) do
   snort --pcap %i
   foobar.pl %i CSV_file
enddo

foobar.pl is a perl simple script that runs thru each line of the CSV file and
stuffs ",filename" onto the end of each CSV record line... "filename" is taken
from the first parameter fed to the perl script and the second parameter is the
destination CSV filename...