Snort mailing list archives

Re: IPS mode for snort

From: Nomad Esst <noname.esst () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 22:59:35 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks. You know, I've just decided to use it in inline mode. I gave that a try with these configurations :
Here is my custom snort.conf: (named snr.conf)
config daq: ipfw config daq_mode: inline config policy_mode: inline output alert_full: stdout include snort.rule

Here is a simple rule file: (named sort.rule)
drop tcp any any -> any 23 (msg: "Drop telnet packets"; sid: 1000001) pass ip any any -> any any

And here is what I do:
snort -c /root/snr.conf -Q --alert-before-pass
And I expect the ICMP packets to pass and telnet packets to drop. But both packet types pass! Am I missing something?