Snort mailing list archives

Re: Securing Host Based Snort Installs

From: "johnny.venter" <johnny.venter () zoho com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:25:59 -0700

Since the credentials are stored in files, you could use file/folder permissions in Windows to restrict
read/write/modify access.

Only caveat is that members of the local administrators group can take ownership and then modify file permissions.

Another options is to use EFS on Windows.  You can logon with your credentials and encrypt the Snort directories.  Even
if an administrator then takes ownership of the directories/files or has Full Control, they will *not* be able to view
the document because EFS is linked to your user account.

Not sure how you installed Snort so you might have to enable EFS with the Snort service account to allow the Snort
service to encrypt and decrypt the file on the fly.

--
Johnny

---- On Fri, 31 May 2013 18:59:11 -0700 Craig Wright wrote ----

I will send details tomorrow