Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to use alertAdd to generate a "variable" alert message?

From: Hai Minh Nguyen <lightsea90 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 13:40:58 +0700

Thanks, Russ! :) Solved!

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com> wrote:

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Hai Minh Nguyen <lightsea90 () gmail com>
wrote:
Help me, please!

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Hai Minh Nguyen <lightsea90 () gmail com>
wrote:

Hi,

I'm using _dpd.alertAdd to raise an alert in my dynamic preprocessor.
But
I face a problem:

I ran this code:

char alert[256];
double score = MyFunction();
sprintf(alert, "Alert: Score = %lf", score);
_dpd.alertAdd(DPX_GID, DPX_DST_SID, 1, 0, 3, alert, 0);

I'm using 2 output modules to check it: alert_fast and unified2 (to
mysql
by barnyard2). I checked the result in alert_fast output file but it
didn't
show the correct alert message (e.g. Alert: Score = 10.00000) ! In
fact, the
message contains special characters.

If by "special characters" you mean something other than what you put
in your alert[] buffer, you need to make alert[] static or declare it
outside of your function.  Only the pointer to alert[] is actually
queued.  Note that alertAdd() does not consume your data before
returning.  It is queued for later use.  If you allow other such
alerts to fire at the same time, you will need multiple buffers too.

For mysql database, barnyard2 cant save the alert with the message so it
save as "Snort: Alert", it noticed that the trouble is of sid-msg.map
and
gen-msg.map.

Could you please tell me how to solve my problem? How can I get the
correct message and save the alert with it on Snort database?

--
Kiếm ma độc cô cầu bại - Ôi, một đời oanh liệt, chỉ mong được chiến bại
một lần, nhưng chưa ai qua nổi quá tam chiêu!!!

--
Kiếm ma độc cô cầu bại - Ôi, một đời oanh liệt, chỉ mong được chiến bại
một
lần, nhưng chưa ai qua nổi quá tam chiêu!!!

New Relic is the only SaaS-based application performance monitoring
service
and get this awesome Nerd Life shirt!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic_d2d_may
Archive: