Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and blocking

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 19:28:31 -0400

On 5/28/2013 15:01, Josh Bitto wrote:
I have a couple of questions that I'm sure that you guys can answer for me.

When snort does blocking it only see's the IP address of both the destination and source. So my questions are...

Is there third party app's that do dns lookups?
(I want to be able to keep a log of domains that may have been blocked, but aren't necessarily bad domains just
compromised.)

If snort is on a dedicated linux box is there a web interface to be able to interact with snort?
(Example: Blocking lists, sensor management, suppression management, global configurations)

i'm sure there is or was something out there but, in reality, other than writing
your own... well...

NOTE: i'm not looking at "conglomerate" tools that package snort with other
tools like snorby, barnyard2 and similar as what is being asked... but then i
may be being too narrow visioned based on the question posed...

FWIW: i'm aware of at least two firewall products that have interfaces for snort
control and management but they are likely lacking for what the professional
crowd expects... one of those interfaces is written in perl and the other in
php... i'm sure that other (4th gen? 5th gen?) languages could be employed...
ruby? java? i think i like the KISS principle of perl, though ;) O:)