Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can't start DAQ (-1) - ipfw_daq_start: can't create divert socket

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:26:57 -0400

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Ricky Huang <rhuang.work () gmail com> wrote:

On Mar 8, 2013, at 12:29 PM, Lawrence Teo <lteo () lteo net> wrote:

[…]

The DAQ README says that you'll need to recompile the kernel to enable
support for divert sockets by placing the following lines in the
kernel config:

   options IPFIREWALL
   options IPDIVERT

Thanks for the idea Lawrence.  I eventually used the loadable kernel
modules by adding firewall_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf
and ipdivert_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf instead of recompiling the
kernel.  Your suggestion pointed me in the correct direction.

Thanks for reporting your resolution.  I'll add that to the DAQ README.

The DAQ README also shows sample ipfw commands that you can use, e.g.
"ipfw add 75 divert 8000 icmp from any to any".  Note that 8000 is the
default divert port in the IPFW DAQ; if you change it to something else
like 5000, you'll need to start Snort with an additional command-line
argument: --daq-var port=5000

[…]

Can you please refer me to the DAQ README documentation?  Snort User
Manual 2.9.4 "1.5 Packet Acquisition" (http://manual.snort.org/node7.html)
is the closest thing I found and I don't see the "ipfw add…" example you
referred

The DAQ REAME is in the DAQ tarball (not to be confused with README.daq
which is in the Snort tarball).

Thanks again!

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest
Snort news!