Snort mailing list archives

Re: Trying to understand file.exe flowbit

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:49:05 -0500

On Jan 11, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Bobby Hinzman <rhinzm826 () gmail com> wrote:

Hello,

I'm currently running Snort 2.9.3.1 with Pulledpork to manage rules, have an active Subscriber subscription to VRT
rules, and am running a 'balanced' policy with a number of rules enabled and disabled in PP.

My problem is that currently sid 15306 is about 43% of my total generated alerts and I'd like to turn it off.
However, 15306 sets the file.exe flowbit. Looking through the rules I noticed a number of other sids also set
file.exe (including 11192, 16313, 16425, 21908, 21909, and 23725 but I may have missed a few others). If any of those
other rules set file.exe do I still need 15306 to be enabled for all of the rules that check for the file.exe flowbit?

Bobby,

I'd suggest leaving it enabled.  You can suppress the events, I believe you will find what you are looking for here:
http://manual.snort.org/node206.html

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT