Snort mailing list archives

Re: Way to generate alerts?

From: Matthew Van Gent <matthew () crosspetroleum com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:46:55 -0800

administrator@cp-pci-1301:~$ curl testmyids.com
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
administrator@cp-pci-1301:~$

I do not see any alerts in snortreport.

From: Heine Lysemose [mailto:lysemose () gmail com]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:22 PM
To: Matthew Van Gent
Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Way to generate alerts?

Hi

Have you tried; curl testmyids.com<http://testmyids.com>?

/Lysemose
On Jan 10, 2013 11:12 PM, "Matthew Van Gent" <matthew () crosspetroleum com<mailto:matthew () crosspetroleum com>>
wrote:
Hello,

I apologize if this is the wrong spot to send this email, I am new to snort. I have used
autosnort(https://github.com/da667/Autosnort ) on my Dell Poweredge T310 server running Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS. I have
configured port mirroring on my external connection and confirmed with wireshark that it is working, however, I am not
receiving any generated alerts from snort. Is there a way to generate alerts guaranteed? I have nmap on an external
machine, and when I run a nmap "attack" against this IP I do not receive any alerts via Snort Report. I am trying to
narrow down if snort is misconfigured, barnyard2 is not functioning, or something else entirely.

Any information on this is welcome.

Thanks,

Matthew Van Gent
IT Assistant