Snort mailing list archives

Problem with acquiring traffic

From: Alex Adamos <alexthakidadam () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 20:58:15 +0200

Hello!!
i wrote my own preprocessor to track flows to a webserver and determine whether the server is under a slow http DoS
attack. Now i want to test my preprocessor and see "how many fish i can get" (greek one, :p)!! I've installed Snort in
an Ubuntu virtualBox Guest (the Host is a Windows7). To automate the tests i wrote a bash script that every time starts
Snort (with a different configuration for my preprocessor) and starts the attack/s. So the Snort installation and the
attacker/s should be on the same machine. For this reason, I thought that i should capture traffic from the lo
interface. But so far, i can't get any of the attacker's packets.Also, in -dev mode i get WARNING: Bad Traffic Same
Src/Dst IPWARNING: Bad Traffic Loopback IPIs this preventing my preprocessor from getting packets?
If i run an attack from my Host or from another virtual machine and start Snort for the eth1 interface (virtualBox
host-only adapter,"It can be thought of as a hybrid between the bridged and internal networking modes: as with bridged
networking, the virtual machines can talk to each other and the host as if they were connected through a physical
ethernet switch") i get the traffic right and preprocessor works fine...
I really need help with this !!Thanks,
Alex.