Snort mailing list archives

Problem accessing telnet data

From: Henrique Santos <hsantos () dsi uminho pt>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 23:12:19 +0000

I have a simple alert rule to detect telnet packets with the word
"Login". However, it seems the packet data is truncated and only the
first 2 bytes are available for detection. The packets I want to search
for start with "\r\nLogin..."; using content:"|od oa|" it works, using
content:"Login" it does not work.
The rule is:
alert tcp any any -> any 23 (msg:"INFO login"; content:"Login"; sid:999;)
I am using a simple configuration file, but I have also tried with the
original snort configuration... same result
Snort is Version 2.8.5.2 (Build 121)

--
Henrique M. D. Santos
Universidade do Minho