Snort mailing list archives

global threshold does not work on certain file-identity rules

From: Clement Chen <plutochen2010 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 13:30:50 -0800

Hi all,

It seems to me that global threshold does not work on certain FILE-IDENTITY
rules. For example, I have global threshold as following:

+-----------------------[event-filter-global]----------------------------------
| gen-id=global sig-id=global type=Both      tracking=src count=1
seconds=180

However, the alert "FILE-IDENTIFY download of executable content" (gid 1,
sid 11192) still shows up many times in a minute. I also found that other
FILE-IDENTITY rules have such issue.

The following is the rule:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET $FILE_DATA_PORTS -> $HOME_NET any
(msg:"FILE-IDENTIFY download of executable content";
flow:to_client,established; content:"application/octet-stream";
fast_pattern; nocase; http_header;
pcre:"/^Content-Type\x3a[\x20\x09]+application\/octet-stream/smiH";
file_data; content:"MZ"; within:2; flowbits:set,file.exe; metadata:service
http, service imap, service pop3; reference:url,
www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/resources/technology/security/practice_safe_computing_and_thwart_online_thugs.mspx;
classtype:policy-violation; sid:11192; rev:13;)

Anyone noticing the same problem? I am using Snort 2.9.

Thanks.

Clement