Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-devel] Bad performance x 2 when using net.bpf.zerocopy_enable=1 on FreeBSD 9.1

From: elof () sentor se
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:33:25 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Victor Roemer wrote:
Concerning your performance problems, you'll receive better feedback from
the snort-users list, the snort-dev is primarily for receiving patches,
discussing development etc..

Thanks for the tip.
I'm cross-posting the followups to snort-users as well.

Your shutdown issue is interesting though. Can you send us the following
1. Snort Version

# snort --version
    ,,_     -*> Snort! <*-
   o"  )~   Version 2.9.4 GRE (Build 40)
    ''''    By Martin Roesch & The Snort Team:
http://www.snort.org/snort/snort-team
            Copyright (C) 1998-2012 Sourcefire, Inc., et al.
            Using libpcap version 1.3.0
            Using PCRE version: 8.32 2012-11-30
            Using ZLIB version: 1.2.7

2. DAQ version

# snort --daq-list | grep pcap
pcap(v3): readback live multi unpriv

# pkg_info | grep daq
daq-2.0.0

Also, how are you "shutting down" snort. Which signal's are you sending it.

I'm sending a normal TERM signal ('kill <pid>'). Nothing happens unless a)
more packets are seen on the sniffing interface or b) I run 'kill -9
<pid>'.

/Elof

I know historically there have been problems with BSD's related to
thread synchronization, etc.. and most notably we do some special things
for OpenBSD to fix these.

- Victor