Snort mailing list archives

About Snort GUI report:Just missed the result

From: Mayur Patil <ram.nath241089 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 01:12:04 +0530

Hello,

   I checked my PC and....

   Oops !!

   I have not Ethernet cards installed.

   So I decided to run on single card i.e. eth0.

   I am using VMware workstation for snort installation on Ubuntu 10.04.

   So,Continued on eth0 vmware network adapter, I used configuration as
follows:

*   auto eth0
   iface eth0 inet static
   address 192.168.1.1
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   network 192.168.1.0
   broadcast 192.168.1.255
   gateway 192.168.1.1
*
   And give command

  * sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart*

   So it works fine.

   Now testing snort phase

  I have given command only for eth0

*  ifconfig eth0 up

  /usr/local/snort/bin/snort -D -u snort -g snort

 /usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /usr/local/snort/etc/barnyard2.conf \
           -G /usr/local/snort/etc/gen-msg.map \
           -S /usr/local/snort/etc/sid-msg.map \
           -d /var/log/snort \
           -f snort.u2 \
           -w /var/log/snort/barnyard2.waldo \
           -D
*
  Upto this step, it seems everything works fine.

  Then I put this command

*  sudo /etc/init.d/rc.local start*

  It gives error

*  Spawning daemon Child...

  My daemon child 4079 lives....

  Daemon parent exiting (-1)
*
  So, by googling snort forum,  I disable only

  /usr/local/snort/bin/snort*  #-D -u snort -g snort

  *and again execute command

*  sudo /etc/init.d/rc.local start*

  and Snort starts !! i.e. commencing packet transfer.....

  but when I open URL in browser

  http://192.168.1.1/snortreport-1.3.3/report.php

  browser shows connection timed out.

  Just one step from seeing result.