Snort mailing list archives

Re: Real Time Alert and Variables

From: Greg Williams <gwillia5 () uccs edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 05:25:52 +0000

Yes, exactly.  I added fast alerts to my barnyard config, it should be the same in snort.conf.  Splunk is a log
management system on steroids.  I use BASE and Snorby for full packet analysis, but Splunk for trending and alerting.
With Splunk I can correlate the IPs from the alerts with dhcp snooping logs to and run a script on a scheduled query to
shut down a port.  I also use it to give me daily reports on the number of P2P client alerts seen on specific subnets.
Example query is as simple as:

Sourcetype=snort P2P starthoursago=24 | stats count by Name