Snort mailing list archives

Re: Could you send me on a signature to capture all emails that are sent to a domain, for example “@tnt.com”.

From: "lists () packetmail net" <lists () packetmail net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 15:44:49 -0600

On 01/26/2013 03:16 PM, Aisling Brennan wrote:
Can you help with syntax for a rule to detect email attachnents ?

Hi,

Since you've not supplied much information around your request, including
direction, here you go:

alert tcp any any -> any 25 (msg:"LOCAL Electronic Message with an attachment";
flow:established,to_server; content:"Content-Disposition|3a|"; nocase;
content:"name="; distance:0; within:15; classtype:policy-violation; sid:x; rev:1;)

alert tcp any any -> any 587 (msg:"LOCAL Electronic Message with an attachment";
flow:established,to_server; content:"Content-Disposition|3a|"; nocase;
content:"name="; distance:0; within:15; classtype:policy-violation; sid:x; rev:1;)

Finally, I would strongly encourage you to spend some time reading the Snort
manual as well as familiarizing yourself with tcpdump and other libpcap based
solutions so we (collectively) don't have to continue to spoonfeed you
solutions.  This coupled with a basic understanding of RFC 822, RFC 2821, RFC
2045, RFC 2046, RFC 2047, RFC 2048, and RFC 2049 will really go far with your
own personal growth around this subject.  If you could be more verbose in your
request and goals the community may be able to provide a better tool set since
you seem focused on electronic messages and detection of respective facets.

Cheers, best wishes, and I hoped this helped.

- Nathan

“Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is.”
Isaac Asimov