Snort mailing list archives

Re: Optimized implementation of AC and AC_Q pattern matching algorithms

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:26:55 -0500

Pablo,

Great stuff. We need to make sure we are testing and modifying against 2.9.4 though.

--
Joel Esler
Sent from my iPhone 

On Jan 26, 2013, at 10:50 AM, Pablo Cantos <pablocantos () gmail com> wrote:

Hi Abed,

First of all, thanks for your contribution.

I have checked your proposal in snort 2.9.1 by using two different pcap files, one of them (612MB-sized) throws
around 900k alerts and the other one (1GB-sized) throws just 55 alerts. I have used an AMD Turion II dual-core mobile
M520 at 2.3GHz, 512KB cache L2 by each core and 4GB RAM.

These are the performance jumps that I have obtained:

612MB file -> 4.24% for MPSE, 5.93% for ac-q
1GB file -> 7.93% for MPSE, 8.03% for ac-q

These results were obtained by measuring the times taken to analyze each pcap file by the MPSE and AC, separately.

I have been working for several months with Snort to get improvements in other areas of the MPSE, I have also studied
the AC_SEARCH macros and I didn't find them completely efficients but I didn't go further. Now, after seeing your
proposal and checking the AC_SEARCH_Q again I thought that taking small changes it could work even better.

You have suggested to pre-fetch the new state before was used it:

#define AC_SEARCH_Q \
+   acstate_t new_state; \
    for (; T < Tend; T++) \
    { \
        ps = NextState[state]; \
        sindex = xlatcase[T[0]]; \
+       new_state = ps[2 + sindex];  \
        if (ps[1]) \
        { \
            if (MatchList[state]) \
            { \
                if (_add_queue(&acsm->q,MatchList[state])) \
                { \
                    if (_process_queue(&acsm->q, Match,data)) \
                    { \
                        *current_state = state; \
                        return 1; \
                    } \
                } \
            } \
        } \
-       state = ps[2 + sindex]; \
+       state = new_state; \
    }
#endif

But I think the routine could be more efficient too if we just fetch the new state in the end, and we move down one
line:

#define AC_SEARCH_Q \
    for (; T < Tend; T++) \
    { \
        ps = NextState[state]; \
-       sindex = xlatcase[T[0]]; \
        if (ps[1]) \
        { \
            if (MatchList[state]) \
            { \
                if (_add_queue(&acsm->q,MatchList[state])) \
                { \
                    if (_process_queue(&acsm->q, Match,data)) \
                    { \
                        *current_state = state; \
                        return 1; \
                    } \
                } \
            } \
        } \
+       sindex = xlatcase[T[0]]; \
        state = ps[2 + sindex]; \
    }
#endif

In this way, I think the number of instructions could be reduced too.

And these are the results that I have obtained:

612MB file -> 15.66% for MPSE, 22.13% for ac-q
1GB file -> 34.49% for MPSE, 35.13% for ac-q

I will try to repeat these tests using other more powerful computers. In any case, we will give more information on
Monday.
Archive:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=snort-devel