Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problem with sensitive-data:email addresses rule

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 17:29:02 -0500

On 3/30/2013 17:09, waldo kitty wrote:
On 3/30/2013 10:24, Gregory Pendergast wrote:
I've just set up my security-onion system to include the VRT
Registered User rule. I'm getting a bunch of hits on 138:5
Sensitive-data email addresses, but the direction is wrong.

The rule says $HOME_NET ->   $EXTERNAL_NET but the alerts I'm getting
are in the opposite direction. The traffic flow is $EXTERNAL_NET ->
$HOME_NET.

that '->' isn't necessarily the "direction of flow" indicator... there is also
"to_server", "from_server", "to_client" and "from_client" modifiers... those are
where the real direction is determined and that based on the location of
$HOME_NET and $EXTERNAL_NET along with whether '->','<-', or '<>' is used...

i needed to clarify this a bit...

alert $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 80 (flow:to_server;) // to home_net server

alert $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 80 (flow:to_client;) // to external_net client

alert $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 80 (flow:to_server;) // to external_net server

alert $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 80 (flow:to_client;) // to home_net client

can you more easily see the differences i was trying to point out?