Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using pulled pork to change rule state from alert to drop for a policy type

From: Tony Robinson <deusexmachina667 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 16:53:04 -0400

I know it's a little bit delayed (I've been insanely busy these days), but
I wanted to let you all know that I appreciate the feedback.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>wrote:

On 3/24/2013 12:41, Tony Robinson wrote:
5. Modify your snort rules to drop traffic in inline mode.

My question revolves around 5. I'm well aware that pulled pork, via
dropsid.conf, can be used to change alert rules to drop rules. I'm
worried about
haphazardly changing all the rules in my snort.rules file to DROP ALL
THE THINGS.

there's two (2) camps to this particular question...

1. are you running the novell netmail server (mentioned in next quoted
paragraph) on your network? is it patched up to date and is fixed for this
specific flaw? if the answer is "yes", then you don't need to run this
rule, do
you? for one thing, not loading this rule will lower snort's memory
footprint as
well as increasing snort's processing speed since it doesn't have to
process the
rule. so run only those rules that pertain to your network and the
equipment and
servers allowed to run on it...

2. i'm kinda in the other camp... if someone is sending bad data to my
system, i
want to know about it... don't shake (test) the door knob on my front door
see if it is opened for you to just walk in... if you try to connect to
mssql on
my network from outside my network, i want to know about it... a) there's
no
reason for someone outside my network to try to connect to any sql servers
there
may be on my network, b) sql servers should not face the world wild whirl
and c)
how would you know there was a server there unless you've been probing and
hunting for holes in which case, you are definitely up to no good and will
be
blocked...

What I would like to do: If I see a rule with policy metadata that
recommends
the rule be set to drop, I want to change that rule from alert to drop.
Let's
pick on sid 1:10011 -- SERVER-MAIL Novell NetMail APPEND command buffer
overflow
attempt, just to illustrate what I'm trying to do.

see above camp 1 unless you are in camp 2 ;)

It has the line "metadata:policy security-ips drop" indicating that: "If
the
user is using a security over connectivity ruleset, this would make a
good drop
rule in that rule policy configuration."

ok...

If I am using a given rule policy configuration in pulled pork (balanced,
connectivity or security), and I see a rule with metadata that indicates
a given
rule would make a good drop rule for that policy ruleset (metadata:
policy
balanced-ips || policy connectivity-ips || policy security-ips)  , I
want to use
pulledpork to change it to a drop rule. Is there an effective way to do
this?

If there is not, I think this would make for an awesome feature request
in PP.

i'll let others speak on this since i don't (yet) use pulledpork... i
don't yet
know how i would do it in my package but i have a rough idea... if PP
doesn't
have it, i agree that it would be a nice feature...

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest
Snort news!

--
when does reality end? when does fantasy begin?