Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort rule for a pattern match?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 14:31:37 -0400

You can do this with a bunch of byte_extracts and byte_tests.  It would be complicated though.  (If I am reading your
email correctly.)

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT

On Mar 26, 2013, at 2:01 PM, "Shields, Joseph (NIH/NIEHS) [C]" <joseph.shields () nih gov> wrote:

I’m reposting this question as I have not seen any responses yet.  Perhaps this can’t be done at this time.

Brian

I am looking for a pattern that identifies a threat I am tracking and need to write a signature to find it.  The
problem is that I don’t know what the starting character will be but I will always know what the difference between
two given characters will be.

A simple, human readable, example is:

ABCDTSRQ

The difference between each character is:

[A] is 1 SMALLER than [B] is 1 SMALLER than [C] is 1 SMALLER than [D] is 16 SMALLER than [T] is 1 BIGGER than [S] is
1 BIGGER than [R] is 1 BIGGER than [Q]

The pattern in this example is -1,-1,-1,-16,+1,+1,+1.

BCDEXWVU would match this pattern and so would HIJKZXYW.

How can I write this rule?

Brian