Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Alert[1:16482:8]

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:08:54 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Kee, Scott [mailto:Scott.Kee () kellwood com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 08:38
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort Alert[1:16482:8]

I recently installed Snort on my Ubuntu machine.    I am receiving a
lot of
16482:8 alerts.  It is Microsoft ie 6 and 7 vulnerability alert.

I don't have any users who are on using IE 6 or 7.  What is
triggering this
alert?  Is this safe to ignore?

Thanks

Keep in mind that we are targeting the vulnerability.  As such, the
server could be responding with possible vulnerable code relevant to IE,
and this rule doesn't check User Agent.  If you're not running any IE in
your environment, you may want to consider commenting out the
browser-ie.rules.  Hope that helps.

James