Snort mailing list archives

Re: can't remember why... snot prepends /etc/ to paths resulting in /etc//foo

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 13:34:52 -0500

On 11/19/2012 12:50, Castle, Shane wrote:
What's this? ->  var $SNORT_HOME /var/snort

a typo :/

it should have read

var SNORT_HOME /var/snort
var RULE_PATH $SNORT_HOME/rules
var SO_RULE_PATH $SNORT_HOME/so_rules
var PREPROC_PATH $SNORT_HOME/preproc_rules

You have a "$" there incorrectly, I think, and something goofy is happening.

FWIW, I don't have that var anywhere in my snort.conf.

most folks won't... it is what we call a "stem"... you'll note how the other
vars build on it... with this stem, we can place other items in the stem
directory or off of it like the rules directories... we can also build
additional "stems"...

eg: some enhanced systems may use something like this...

var SNORT_HOME /var/snort
var ET_HOME $SNORT_HOME/ET
var VRT_HOME $SNORT_HOME/VRT
var ET_RULE_PATH $ET_HOME/rules
var VRT_RULE_PATH $VRT_HOME/rules
var SO_RULE_PATH $VRT_HOME/so_rules
var PREPROC_PATH $SNORT_HOME/preproc_rules

Maybe this var is set in a parent startup shell script and somehow the redef is appending to it?

nah... not in this case... good guess, though!