Snort mailing list archives

Re: Uninstalling Snort

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 21:54:01 -0500

Groundhog Day already?

On 11/15/2012 5:02 PM, k vijay sai prashanth wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I was using snort version 2.8.6 and RHEL 5. I've read that 2.8.6 is
obsolete and that 2.9.3.1 requires libpcap 1.0 or higher for which rpm
is not availabe for RHEL 5. I am planning to upgrade to RHEL 6. Is that
the only solution? I have 4 servers across different locations and
upgrading to RHEL 6 is going to be a lot of effort. Please advise. Is
there a simple way to upgrade RHEL to RHEL 6 or keep the RHEL
installation and upgrade only snort to Snort 2.9.3.1.

For now I am looking to delete the whole database of snort, snort logs,
and all the files created for snort. How can I do this?

Regards,
Prashanth
Information Security Analyst

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 3:30 AM, k vijay sai prashanth
    I was using snort version 2.8.6 and RHEL 5. I've read that 2.8.6 is
    obsolete and that 2.9.3.1 requires libpcap 1.0 or higher for which
    rpm is not availabe. I am planning to upgrade to RHEL 6. Is that the
    only solution? I have 4 servers across different locations and
    upgrading to RHEL 6 is going to be a lot of effort. Please advise.
    Is there a simple way to upgrade or keep the installation and
    upgrade snort.

    For now I am looking to delete the whole database or snort, snort