Snort mailing list archives

Autosnort updates and expanded OS support

From: Tony Robinson <deusexmachina667 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:33:06 -0500

Hello snort users,

It has been some amount of time since my initial announcement for
autosnort. I've been (somewhat?) hard at work since then, improving the
initial script, and also creating additional scripts for supporting other
operating systems. In case you weren't around for the first announcement a
few months ago, autosnort is a shell script that will take a supported
operating system and give you a fully updated, fully functional snort
installation with minimal effort.

So without further adieu, here are the announcements:

1. Improved automation - the script no longer downloads a static version of
snort, but is able to poll snort.org for the latest stable version of snort
and daq libraries and automatically download them (special thanks to
Dogbert2 in snort IRC for the idea on how to do this)
2. Expanded OS support - there are now autosnort builds for CentOS 32 and
64 bit as well as Backtrack 5 r3 -- Gnome and KDE -- 32 and 64 bit.
3. Improved documentation - in the general README as well as OS-specific
readmes that detail what exactly the script does to your system -- in
addition to the code comments to explain EXACTLY what is going on, if you
want to try your hand and modifying the script to suit your specific needs

In the works:
1. A build for Debian 32 and 64-bit
2. A build for pentoo linux (pentoo.ch, announced at Defcon 20, and
Derbycon 2.0 this year -- gentoo based pentesting distro)
3. A choice of web front ends
4. Barebones install option (e.g. snort, daqlibs and output to syslog for
SIEM integration)

Give it a try, let me know what you think. Contributions of code (or, well,
anything, I suppose) will not be turned away. If you run into problems, or
have any questions, please let me know.

blog: http://autosnort.blogspot.com/
github: https://github.com/da667/Autosnort
e-mail: deusexmachina667 () gmail com
twitter: @da_667

Thanks for your time, and happy snorting!

p.s. : Special thanks to Joel Esler.