Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-sigs] Matching the beginning or end of a (preprocessor) content buffer

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 13:17:42 -0500

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Mike Cox <mike.cox52 () gmail com> wrote:

In this case, we were always talking about rule metrics (at least I
was), and in particular, relative rule metrics (specifically,
comparing multiple rules on the same network data), although rule
metrics and engine performance metrics are *not* mutually
exclusive....

Again, data is data and the way the engine process it should be the
same whether it is a big or small pcap, and it shouldn't matter if it
Snort is reading a pcap file or consuming data straight off a network
interface, right?  Or am I wrong (I've asked this three times now).

You are correct - once Snort gets the packet from the DAQ the processing is
the same.  For sticklers, different DAQs have different abilities and
whether you can normalize or respond etc. varies.  But detection is the
same.

I understand the value of real-world traffic in evaluating performance
but if I run a pcap thru Snort that has rules x and y loaded,
shouldn't I be able to see a relatively accurate performance
difference between rule x and rule y?

Yes.  And for sticklers, this is assuming the rules don't interact or
otherwise change the processing of a packet or session.

-Mike Cox