Snort mailing list archives

Re: Pulled Pork

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:55:48 -0400

On Oct 30, 2012, at 5:14 AM, Peter Bates <peter.bates () ucl ac uk> wrote:
On 30/10/2012 08:49, k vijay sai prashanth wrote:
So basically there is a 30 day trial during which you can only update the
rules once 15 minutes? Isn't that a reasonable enough amount of time? How
much is small amount that you are referring to? I wanted to install
PulledPork for the IDS installed for my organization. Is this an annual
amount?

You might be best looking at:

In a nutshell - you can register for an account on snort.org, get an 'oinkcode'
and then download the rules for free - but they will be 30 days behind.

The paid subscription gives you access to the rules when they are released.

Yes, let's be clear, it's not a 30 day trial.  It's a 30 day delay.  Our entire ruleset is free and open to use, just
30 days behind.  Subscription gives you access to the rules the day they are released.  Subscribers also get the 15
minute delay lifted.

We have the 15 minute delay in place, as there are some people who like to download the entire ruleset every 5 seconds.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT