Snort mailing list archives

Re: Signature 17210

From: "Jefferson, Shawn" <Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:36:54 -0600

As far as false positives go, I think you have the following options (if the traffic/event is legitimate and cannot be
shutdown):

1.     Disable the rule entirely (you will lose all detection/prevention for this rule though!)

2.     Write a suppression rule in threshold.conf (a more targeted approach).

3.     Take the original rule, add some unique content match to it, and make it a pass rule in your local.rules (where
you can identity something unique about the false positive and don't have the ability to do #2 above without losing
some detection/prevention capability.)

That's what I do in these cases.  Anyone else have additional ways of copying with false positives?