Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about Content-Disposition, Content-Type, etc. and http_header buffer

From: Mike Cox <mike.cox52 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:50:04 -0500

I think the packets are correct.  I guess the situation is, when you have
encoding such as multipart/form-data, some header fields like
Content-Disposition can end up in the body of the message.  Thus, snort
rules matching on such headers and using the http_header buffer, won't
match as intended.  Make sense?

I was wondering if it was possible for http_inspect to realize this
situation and populate the http_header buffer with the headers from the
body so that rules matching on things like Content-Disposition in
http_header will still alert properly with situations such as
multipart/form data encoding.

Thanks!

-Mike Cox