Snort mailing list archives

FW: CPU load generated by Snort

From: "Tony Reusser" <treusser () filertel com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 08:12:39 -0600

Here's how I do it.

Open up one ssh window to your snort box.  Type the command 'tail -f
/var/log/messages'

Then in another window issue a SIGUSR1 kill signal to your snort PID:

# kill -10 [snort PID]

This will tell snort to dump its current statistics to syslog.  The tail
command conveniently shows it immediately, but it is in there to find later
if you want.  At the top of the list of stats is "packets captured / packets
analyzed / packets dropped.

Hope this helps.

                -Tony Reusser

P.S. This command doesn't actually "kill" your snort process.  It interprets
this "signal" as  "dump stats and keep running."