Snort mailing list archives

Re: SOLVED: Trouble not getting unified2 files to write.

From: "Tony Reusser" <treusser () filertel com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 09:03:10 -0600

I run mine on CentOS 6.3 and I installed from the source tarball.  I don't
have any such thing under /etc/sysconfig/snort.  It looks like the rpm
installer and/or redhat imposed some additional stuff that is causing you
grief.  My advice, uninstall the rpm stuff and just get the latest source
tarball from snort.org and do the standard {tar/unzip/configure/make/make
install}.

I invoke my snort instances with nothing but a -dD flag.  (-d) to dump the
application layer and (-D) to run in daemon mode.  Then I just have that
command in my /etc/rc.local for automatic startup at boot.  I don't worry
about any fancy/schmancy startup scripts or services.  I need two instances
of snort for my two interfaces anyway.  Each one has its own distinct .conf
file too.  Each one has a single output line that creates a single unified2
file with [interface].u2.[timestamp] for a file name that barnyard reads for
the database.  In my BASE GUI, I have all alerts and packet captures at the
click of a button.  It works really well.  On my busiest interface I get
maybe a .01% packet loss.  That is acceptable to me.

Try the manual install/setup and I bet all your headaches will go away.

Just my 2 cents.

        -tkr