Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can snort calculate on-the-fly-md5sum ?

From: Balasubramaniam Natarajan <bala150985 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:07:13 -0400

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com> wrote:

So, I'm going to try and answer this question as delicately as I can
without dancing too much around it.

The answer is, not at the present time.  These features (and more) are in
the next couple of versions of Snort.  We have been wanting to do this for
some time, but we wanted to take the feature a step further than
identifying the file, checking it against a known list, and blocking the
file.  It took a lot of code, APIs, and time to be able to do what we
wanted to do, but we are looking forward to rolling out new versions of
Snort with features that have been a long time coming soon. (Much
groundwork must have been laid first.)  We are planning on releasing a beta
of Snort 2.9.4, today as a matter of fact, and more information about where
we are headed with these features (and more) will be released soon.  As we
are a public company, we can't disclose everything we are working on, but
we're excited about what the future holds.

Thanks Joe

--
Regards,
Balasubramaniam Natarajan