Snort mailing list archives

Re: HI_CLIENT_WEBROOT_DIR 119:18 rule help

From: Dave Venman <dvenman () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 07:59:33 +0100

Hi there.

  (cc'ed the Snort users list too).

  Well, the client only knows that is can ask for something like
http://www.server.com/a/b/c - the exact location on disk is something is
doesn't need to know - the server does.

  In the case of a Webroot traversal, what happens is the attacker sends a
request like

    http://www.server.com/a/b/../../../

  and if the webserver is misconfigured, my provide the attacker access to
files which are outside the web document structure on disk.