Snort mailing list archives

Re: Extracting snortrules-2931.tar.gz

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:28:09 -0400

On 10/9/2012 15:19, Jeremy Hoel wrote:
The link he was using worked fine for me. I tested the get and got the
rules with no no problem.. with the link he had. His problem is not
related to a bad link.

The examples show that you need a file name
(http://snort.org/snort-rules/cli) and when you go to the page before,
the main download page (http://snort.org/snort-rules/?), it shows the
file names. They are not trying to make this overly confusing and
hard.. but it does require some effort and understanding on the
installers part. Or, you could sign in and grab them from the gui, or
use pullpork.  3 different methods to get the rules..

or even oinkmaster with the properly styled older format which still works quite
well... oinkmaster, too, works quite if you only want a download and rules
updating tool without all the extras that pulledpork offers ;)

The examples are generic enough that they don't have to change
whenever the rule file changes.  Lets let the developers work on
keeping the software fixed and nor worry about the web page not having
the most specific instructions.

agreed :)