Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] How to exclude one IP address from HOME_NET

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 17:39:37 -0400

Glad it helps!

On Oct 1, 2012, at 5:33 PM, Jack Pepper <pepperjack () afferentsecurity com> wrote:

I did not know this was available.  that's a way better (and more inuitive) solution.
      ipvar EXAMPLE [1.1.1.1,2.2.2.0/24,![2.2.2.2,2.2.2.3]]
jp

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com> wrote:
On Oct 1, 2012, at 3:20 PM, Jack Pepper <pepperjack () afferentsecurity com> wrote:

the subject of how to exclude one IP address from HOME_NET still comes up occasionally.  Usually it's a proxy
server.  I wrote a little program a long time ago (2008?) to create a HOME_NET statement with the proxy address
excluded.  Herewith I offer it to the public (should a done that a long time ago).
     http://www.autoshun.org/exclusion.asp

Please see this section of the Snort Manual:

http://manual.snort.org/node16.html#SECTION00312000000000000000

As it references how to exclude certain IPs within a variable.

Also Cc'ing the Snort-users list, as this is a Snort issue (not an emerging-sigs issue) and someone may find it
useful.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT