Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rules commented

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 19:47:03 +0000

 inline.Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 10:02:53 -0500
From: juan.valencia () seguratec com co
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] Rules commented

Hi guys,

I have snort integrated with another security product that basically parse the alerts sent by snort and take action
over the node. I have been reviewing the snort rules and I have seen that there are a lot of rules commented, after
that I have a simple of questions:

What is the reason because there are a lot of rules commented ?, will we have problems if I uncomment all the rules?.
First part of the question, is because of two reasons based on my knowledge:1. Every network is different and has its
own traffice. Rules must be tuned to match your needs.2. Policy. Snort team has devised a 4-type policy: connectivity,
balanced, security, and no policy (no policy defined). You can read more about this and the reasons of hows/whys at the
below links:
http://blog.snort.org/2012/01/importance-of-pulledpork.htmlhttp://blog.snort.org/2012/03/rule-category-reorganization.html
 These and the embedded links will give you a good idea. For the second part of the question, I would say yes. Too many
unmanagable alerts/rules, alerts that may mean nothing to your environment, and performance issues.
What is the best way to begin  activate this rules?
PulledPork will be the way to go. Which is also explained in the first link.
Thanks for your advance,

Best regards,

P.D: Maybe this question was resolve long time ago, and I just didn't search correctly.
--
JUAN CAMILO VALENCIA VARGAS
Ingeniero de Operaciones